Jump to: Hiawatha Notices | Service & Program Changes | Self-Assessment Tool | Stop the Spread | Proper Hand-Washing | Social Distancing | Facts & Symptoms | Comparison Chart | How to Self-Monitor | How to Self-Isolate | Travel Info | Public Health Alerts | Government Benefits & Support | Resource Links
As you may be aware First Nations are at greater risk of becoming ill from COVID-19 due to our higher incidents of diabetes, heart disease and cancers. We want to be pro-active and give our due diligence to prevent the spread of the spread of the virus in our community. We take the health of all our Citizens, especially those most vulnerable our seniors, young children, and all those who are immune compromised, of the utmost importance.
We are following recommendations from Ontario and Canada to try and mitigate risk, not only for our Community, but to all work together to help slow/stop the spread of this virus. Noted below, are the measures we are taking as precautionary steps and to help mitigate risks for all our Citizens.
We encourage our Citizens to check in with family members and neighbors who have mobility/health issues. Our COVID – 19 Task Team are talking daily and meeting every other day to keep updated on local, regional and national changes and we will make the necessary changes at the Community level as required. We will continue to keep you updated. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our Office at 705-295-4421.
- Video Message from Chief Laurie Carr (2020-04-03)
- Old Railroad Stop Store Access Changes (2020-04-03)
- COVID-19 Update #3 to Citizens (2020-04-02)
- Hiawatha First Nation COVID-19 Information Booklet (2020-04-02)
- Citizen Communique #2: Shelter In Place Order (2020-04-01)
- Citizen Communique: State of Emergency Declared (2020-03-27)
- Hiawatha First Nation State of Emergency Declared (2020-03-27)
- COVID-19 Update #2 to Citizens (2020-03-20)
- Old Railroad Stop Restaurant Closure (2020-03-19)
- Old Railroad Stop Store Limited Hours (2020-03-18)
- Old Railroad Stop Restaurant Notice (2020-03-16)
- Old Railroad Stop Store & Gas Station Temporary Hours (2020-03-16)
- COVID-19 Update #1 to Citizens (2020-03-16)
- Hiawatha’s Precautionary Measures on COVID-19 (2020-03-13)
Service & Program Changes
ADMINISTRATION OFFICE – Effective Thursday, March 19, 2020, the Administration Office will be officially closed until further notice. Citizens needing to speak with staff are asked to call and leave a message. Anyone needing to make a payment to Hiawatha First Nation, at this time, all payments will be received by mail.
L.I.F.E. SERVICES CENTRE – Effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020, office doors at the L.I.F.E. Centre will be closed to the public. Citizens needing to speak with staff are asked to call reception and you will be redirected to the appropriate person.
CHILD CARE CENTRE – Due to the on-going concerns of the COVID-19 virus and its spread, this notice is to advise that our Child Care Centre will be closed effective Monday, March 16, 2020 until further notice.
GYM – Due to the COVID-19 the Gym will be closed until April 6, 2020. Any updates will be posted here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
YOUTH CENTRE – Our Youth Centre, including March break and regular Youth Centre activities will be cancelled until further notice.
ACTIVITIES / EVENTS / MEETINGS – All activities, events, meetings will also be cancelled/postponed until further notice. We will monitor and re-asses the situation over the next 3 weeks and determine next steps moving forward.
OLD RAILROAD STOP STORE & GAS STATION – STORE OPEN FOR HFN CITIZENS/SPOUSES AND THOSE WHO RESIDE IN HFN BOUNDRIES ONLY. Due to the health concerns regarding COVID-19 we are limiting traffic in our community. We will be checking status cards and driver’s licenses to verify, so be prepared to show proof. Effective Saturday, April 4th, 2020 the store will be open for GAS, CIGARETTES (current inventory only) and PROPANE sales ONLY. The hours of operation will be 3-7 pm until further notice. We would prefer debit/credit card transactions at this time, due to health concerns.
OLD RAILROAD STOP RESTAURANT – Due to the health concerns regarding COVID-19 we will be closing the Old Railroad Stop Restaurant. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause; however, we are doing our part to mitigate the spread of the virus. Effective Thursday, March 19, 2020 the Restaurant will be closed until further notice.
COUNCIL & STAFF – Council and Staff will be on a travel ban, and will not host any meetings in the Community until further notice. We will conduct our meetings by conference call and/or video conferencing. Any Staff who have travelled out of the Country will not be permitted to work for 2 weeks, however those Staff who are able can work from home. We suggest any citizens who have travelled out of Country to read the attached travel information.
WORSHIP SERVICES – In light of the province’s state of emergency and with a directive from the General Secretary of the United Church of Canada, Sunday morning worship services at Keene and Hiawatha will be suspended until further notice.
COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool
If you think you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use this self-assessment to help determine how to seek further care.
If after using the self-assessment tool, you feel that you need further assessment, please contact one of the following:
a. Call Peterborough Public Health Unit at 705-743-1000. New Extended hours are Mon-Fri 8:30 am – 6:00 pm, Sat and Sun 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Over the Easter long weekend, the PPH will be taking calls and emails between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. from Friday, April 10 to Monday, April 13 inclusive.
b. Call your Dr. or Nurse Practitioner
c. Call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000
d. Call Hiawatha Community Health Nurse (Lori) at 705-295-4421 (your call will be forwarded directly to Lori ) Mon- Fri 8:30 – 4:30
e. Call 2-1-1 to learn what other services are available
Stop the Spread
Click here to view a video with information on social distancing.
Facts & Symptoms
- Click here to view a video with general information about COVID-19.
- Click here to view a video instructing when to wear a mask.
- Click here to view a video instructing how to wear and dispose of masks.
Comparison Chart of COVID-19 and Influenza (Flu)
How to Self-Monitor
How to Self-Isolate
Self-Isolation for Close Contacts
- If you are caring for or living with someone who has the virus, you are considered a “close contact.”
- Self-isolation: Guide for caregivers, household members and close contacts
Returning from travel…
You are required to self-isolate for 14 days after returning. Please click here for information from Peterborough Public Health.
If you have travelled outside of Canada, or have been in close contact of someone who has COVID-19, Public Health Nurses at Peterborough Public Health are available to provide Phone screening and will book you for testing if recommended.
Phone Number: 705-743-1000 or 1-877-743-0101
Please DO NOT go to the hospital for testing unless you have done the Phone screening and have been directed to do so.
Public Health Alerts
- Peterborough Public Health Reports First COVID-19 Case in Long-Term Care Home (2020-03-26)
- How to Self-Isolate (for returning travellers with NO SYMPTOMS) (2020-03-24)
- Enhanced Measures to Protect Ontarians from COVID-19 (2020-03-16)
- First Case of COVID-19 Reported by Peterborough Public Health (2020-03-15)
- Advice for Travelers and the Risk of COVID-19 (2020-03-13)
- Keeping You and Your Family Healthy (2020-03-12)
- Enhanced Public Health Measures for COVID-19 (2020-03-12)
- Extended Hours at Peterborough Public Health for COVID-19 Screening (2020-03-11)
- Everyone Has a Role Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 (2020-03-04)
- Novel Coronavirus Infection: FAQ (2020-01-31)
Government Benefits & Support
This content has moved here to a dedicated page.
- Peterborough Public Health
- Ontario Government Ministry of Health
- Government of Canada – Latest and most up-to-date info on COVID-19